The Foundation will hold a learning exchange between its partners delivering projects on health policy and equity in health service provision across a number of Commonwealth countries. Partners will share knowledge and expertise to unpick some of the challenges of holding governments to account on health rights and to explore what works and can be improved in health policy and accountability processes in different contexts.
Equal access to health is a critical issue for the sustainable development of communities and nations, an important component of Agenda 2030 and a key social justice indicator.
The objectives of the three-day learning exchange are:
1) Share knowledge and expertise between health rights projects and partners from at least eight Commonwealth countries
2) Identify good practices in people’s participation in governance in the health sector covering the following areas:
3) Document good practices in strengthening civic voices to engage in governance in the health sector from the content of the exchange
• Preparation of a short paper on good practices in strengthening civic voices to engage in governance in the health sector
• Identify other potential knowledge and communication materials
• Identify mechanism(s) to promote continued exchanges among partners, potentially using the Foundation’s knowledge hub
Key issues to be addressed
• Intersecting inequalities in health service delivery and governance
• Current challenges in health policy – outdated legislation; inter-sectoral policy considerations, universal health coverage
• Challenges of linking civic-voice accountability mechanisms and governance institutions
• How do global processes and agreements influence national policy and local implementation?
• Different civic-voice accountability mechanisms and conditions for their effectiveness – case studies from projects/partner experience
• Public awareness and communications to shape public discourse and opinion in support of tackling stigma and more accountable and inclusive health services.
Browse a library of publications from our knowledge hub, including policy briefs written in collaboration with civil society partners, toolkits, guides and more.
The CPF brings together civil society representatives from around the world to discuss and debate key issues facing Commonwealth people.
Explore our projects through an interactive map.
The Foundation offers grants of up to £50,000 in support of innovative project ideas and approaches that seek to strengthen the ability of civic voices to engage with governments.