The Commonwealth Foundation is the Commonwealth’s agency for civil society. We support people’s participation in democracy and development.
The Commonwealth Foundation is an international organisation established by Heads of Government in support of the belief that the Commonwealth is as much an association of peoples as it is of governments. It is the Commonwealth agency for civil society; a unique, stand-alone organisation established by, funded by, and reporting to governments.
The Foundation supports civic-voice led projects designed to advance participatory governance. Through grant making and capacity development work in partnership, the Foundation selects and works with partners that take an innovative approach to strengthening the ability of civic voices to engage with governance institutions, undertake accountability and policy reform initiatives, influence public discourse and have the potential to shift and transform governance towards more participatory systems. Ultimately, the Foundation seeks to ensure that policy and government institutions are more effective contributors to development through the influence of civic voices.
This is an opportunity to join our small, London-based team, with a truly global remit. As part of the Directorate’s team you will perform a variety of tasks including preparation of briefing notes and presentations, research, contact management and wider support team office assistance.
The successful intern will have a degree in a related field to the Foundation’s work. You will have experience of working on research projects and be able to demonstrate excellent writing and communication skills. You will be committed to the work of the Foundation including the mission and values. You will be a self-starter who is able to prioritise your own workload and multi task as required. You will have excellent IT skills along with a can do attitude.
Monday 13 January 2020 at midday GMT
Interviews and start date
To be scheduled shortly after the closing date. We anticipate the successful candidate commencing the role in early February 2020.
Allowance and duration
• 6 months’ duration with possibility of extension to a maximum of 1 year
• £55 per day
• Travel allowance (commuting to and from the office) to a maximum of £20 per day is available
• As an internship this does not constitute employment with the Foundation. There are no payments for bank holiday, privilege days or sickness. There is a limited holiday allowance
• The Intern is included fully in any external training opportunities (including conference attendance) and appropriate internal learning & development programmes
• Assistance is given where possible to aid the Intern in securing a permanent role in another organisation at the end of their internship. If there was a suitable vacancy at the Foundation, the intern can apply, however there is no guarantee of any role at the end of internship.
Under UK employment law you must have the right to live in the UK either by having a nationality from a qualifying member country of the European Union or by possessing an appropriate visa. The Foundation is unable to sponsor any visa applications, so this must be in place at time of applying. Proof of passport/visa is applicable at application stage and if not in possession the application cannot be processed.
Commonwealth citizens who do not possess an appropriate visa, in line with UK legislation, do not have an automatic right to work in the UK.Download tasks: Directorate intern