Mozambique has a youth policy which recognises youth as one of the country's most important resources. Nevertheless, youth in the city of Chimoio face a series of challenges, including poor employment opportunities and health outcomes.
How we are helping
Supporting young people in Chimoio to come together, strengthen their capacity to actively participate in civic life and engage with municipal and provincial government on the issues that affect their lives.
About the project
Young people in Chimoio, the 5th biggest city in Mozambique, face a number of challenges including poor employment opportunities, threats from environmental degradation, HIV/AIDS, and domestic violence.
This project will support youth in Chimoio to come together to tackle these issues by strengthening their capacity to participate in civic life and engage with municipal and provincial government.
The project will achieve its aims by:
- Supporting the Gonazololo, a group of young volunteers based in Chimoio, to register as an association
- Strengthening the capacity of the Gonazololo to work with young people and civil society and to engage in dialogue with government on the issues that affect them
- Training of youth to facilitate public neighbourhood ‘hearings’ and discussions on themes identified by young people of Chimoio
- Facilitating quarterly multi-stakeholder dialogues with municipal and provincial government departments as well as private sector actors which will be informed by policy briefs on issues prioritised by youth
- Strengthening collaboration among youth-led civil society groups to develop a common ‘Chimoio Youth Agenda’
MICAIA Foundation is a Mozambican organisation working in Manica Province. They aim to enable people to take action to change their lives for the better. MICAIA’s key areas of work in recent years include agriculture, natural resource management and active citizenship. MICAIA has experience of helping establish community groups and associations to enable people to participate in local planning processes and identify and secure the means they need to support themselves.
We support people's participation in democracy and development by providing grants, platforms, and expertise.