Programme Officer (Communications)
The Commonwealth Foundation is an international intergovernmental organisation established by Heads of Government in support of the belief that the Commonwealth is as much an association of peoples as it is of governments.
It is the Commonwealth agency for civil society; a unique, stand-alone organisation established by, funded by, and reporting to governments.
The Foundation is dedicated to strengthening people’s participation in all aspects of public dialogue, to act together and learn from each other to build democratic societies. To that end it works to:
- Support the active and constructive participation of Commonwealth citizens in all aspects of their governance
- Nurture the growth of vibrant and free civil societies in all Commonwealth countries
- Advance the principles and ideals of the Commonwealth.
We work together to promote a welcoming and inclusive environment, which attracts a wide range of candidates and reflects our commitment to celebrating and promoting diversity.
As Communications Officer you will be responsible for supporting online and in-person events, and be a key facilitator of our social media and digital communications. You will work across our teams to support staff in all aspects of communication.
Working closely with the Manager and two Senior Programme Officers in the Knowledge, Learning and Communications team, you will engage with civil society issues throughout the Commonwealth.
As Communications Officer you should have an interest in developing innovative digital content including copy and visual media for a range of online channels. You will need to be able to produce and schedule quality content related to the Foundation’s programmes to build engagement with civil society audiences.
You should have an awareness of ensuring brand and style guidelines are reflected across communication activities and be comfortable acting as a first point of contact for media enquiries as well as liaising with colleagues and external suppliers.
You should be able to demonstrate extensive experience in the use of social media and online marketing, especially Twitter, Facebook and Instagram, along with experience of using website content management systems. You will also have used image editing software and have a good understanding of Microsoft tools and webinar/virtual meeting platforms. You will have strong writing skills along with an ability to work collaboratively with stakeholders.
Key tasks and responsibilities
The role will undertake the following key tasks:
- Actively promote the values and aims of the Commonwealth
- Plan, create and post content for our website and all social media channels
- Undertake event coordination and promotion
- Support staff to effectively use communications and IT
- Support media relations
- Prepare copy and content
Monday 1 February 2021, 1pm GMT
Week of 9 February 2021
1 March 2021
- Starting salary of £30,000 pa
- 15% of gross salary in a tax-free gratuity payment. As an example in the first year gratuity would be an additional £4,500. The monies are available for withdrawal every 3 years
- Holiday allowance of 30 days (plus 8 bank holidays and 4 privilege days)
- Learning opportunities at the Foundation for career development
Please provide a covering letter, CV and copy of proof of right to work in the UK using the application form found on this page.
We expect your covering letter to demonstrate how your experience meets the requirements of the role and the Foundation’s values. Please refer to the information above and that found in the job description when writing your cover letter. The job description can be downloaded below.Download job description for Programme Officer (Communications)