Civil Society Advisory Governors
The Commonwealth Foundation has a tradition of involving civil society in its governance. Five Civil Society Advisory Governors—distinguished civic voices, each representing a region of the Commonwealth (Africa, Asia, Caribbean and Americas, Pacific and Europe)—join representatives from all Member States on our Board of Governors.
We are looking for five new Civil Society Advisory Governors to serve for two years from July 2023.
While the Civil Society Advisory Governors do not have a decision-making role, they provide guidance, advice and support to Member State Governors and to the Directorate. Full details of the role are available in the Terms of Reference, which can be downloaded at the bottom of this page.
As a Civil Society Advisory Governor, you will have a unique opportunity to represent civil society in your region at a global level. Your contribution will help ensure that decisions taken by the Foundation are informed by the interests and priorities of the People of the Commonwealth.
The selection process for five new Civil Society Advisory Governors, to serve for two years from July 2023 to June 2025, is now underway. We invite expressions of interest from civil society leaders who meet the following criteria:
- You have a strong background engaging with civil society in your region, focusing on areas that align with the Foundation’s fields of work.
- Your background and connections will enable you to confidently represent your regional civil society and its interests.
- You understand our unique intergovernmental position advancing the needs and interests of civil society.
- You appreciate the importance of working constructively and in a participatory fashion with governments.
- You are in a position to contribute your time and expertise without remuneration (beyond expenses) to an agreed level of effort (we estimate that to be around half a day per month plus additional days associated with any required travel).
You must be a national of a Commonwealth Foundation Member State to apply. You should also be an active member of an established Civil Society Organisation.
Expressions of interest should take the form of a CV and a simple letter (no more than two pages). Both the CV and letter should clearly address the selection criteria set out above. The recruitment will be overseen by the Director-General, the Chair of the Board of Governors and the Chair of the Executive Committee.
Shortlisted applicants can expect to be contacted by the end of March 2023. They may be required to provide additional information, including letters of recommendation.
Selected nominees will be confirmed by the Foundation’s Board by or before June 2023. Appointed members will serve a two-year term that will run from July 2023 to June 2025.
Applications, or queries, should be sent to email@example.com
The deadline for applications is 17 February 2023 1pm GMT. Late applications will not be accepted.Civil Society Advisory Governors Terms of Reference